What happens in a trichology consultation?
The initial consultation is private and confidential, a one-to-one appointment that takes 60 – 90 minutes. We will discuss all factors that could be having an impact on your hair and scalp health, so that I can understand the character and cause of your concern.
What to expect in a consultation:
- I will ask you about your hair and scalp concerns – this will include discussion about your lifestyle, hereditary hair loss, hair care regimen, health, nutrition & any supplements or medication you are taking
- I will examine your scalp with a trichoscope to look at the hair follicles & hair shafts
- I will assess any recent blood test results
- I will take photographs to assist in my assessment, and for future comparison of changes to the scalp or hair shafts
- Sometimes I will take images of your hair shafts in their follicles to assess and examine follicular condition
- I may take small samples of hair for microscopic analysis
What you need to bring to your consultation:
- Information about hair care products used on a regular basis
- Details of supplements taken
- Details of prescription medication
- Any blood test results if taken in the past 4 months (the surgery/lab will print for you on request)
- Details of your GP
Diagnosis of disorders is made by the meticulous research of components of patients, wellbeing & lifestyle choices, dietary intake relevant to the concern. Effects of long term medication or underlying health concerns are always considered in the diagnosing process. Sometimes to reach an accurate diagnosis, blood tests, and analysis of blood chemistries that directly correlate to optimal hair growth are required. Analysis of all blood test results is recommended as part of a preventative course of action when hair loss might be linked to underlying health concerns. If up-to-date blood test results are needed to understand more about your concern, I can provide you with details of relevant blood chemistries that you can request from your GP or a private surgery. However, I can also offer information on self-blood test options, a local phlebotomist with a kit from Medichecks or Bio Lab Medical Unit London.
As part of a wide network of consultant trichologists discussions and consultation for other opinions are valued and may be part of the diagnosis process. This ensures that a bespoke treatment plan can be provided when all necessary information has been gathered & considered.
All Otter Valley & Chiltern Hills Trichology Clinic consultations are in keeping with ethical standards set by the trusted profession of trichology. Caroline is Certified in Trichology CIT iTEC and a member of the Association of Registered Trichologists ART and Trichology Professional Development Programme TPDP.
Follow up appointments are recommended from 4 – 12 months after the first consultation, in order to check progress, and make any necessary adaptations to treatment.
If you would like to know more about my trichology consultations please get in touch here or call me direct on 07561 554380